Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, July 22, 2011

Riding The Width Of The Township

We've had a break in the heatwave, at least for now.  Who would've thunk that I'd ever think the mid to upper 80's were a cool off?  It was a relief to walk or ride outside without it feeling like it was stifiling, even mid day it was noticably more tolerable by far.  It had been cloudy much of the day and the sun brought out evening humidity, but riding was in the cards and it was a great ride, albeit a sweaty one.

I rode the back roads for the width of the township tonight.  For those unaware townships are laid out 6 miles by 6 miles.  Without the benefit of straight roads the ride was a bit over 14 miles.  It's a great way to wrap a week of riding with a total this week of 48.5 miles in 5 days of riding. 

Health wise I have seldom felt better in a very long time.  I'm feeling very strong and energetic.  My shortness of breath is all but gone, the only time I had that was in hills or sprinting away from the deer flies which were maddening in places tonight.  I'd sprayed myself before I left but next time I'll really lay it on thick.  Those pesky things really distract from the serene beauty and quiet of these backroads.  Most of what I road was pastoral except for a portion on the way to the longest  dirt east west road. That portion travels on a pretty winding high speed road with no bike lane or paved shoulder.  The rest was on dirt roads and they were nearly empty for miles on end. I am surrounded by beautiful countryside and it just takes getting off the main paved roads and onto the dirt roads to experience this.  Amazing what awaits out your back door.

If I didn't rediscover the love of biking, I wouldn't know this existed.  Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment