Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Saturday, May 25, 2013

Edward Hines Drive Trail - Part III

So Friday I finished up the last 1/3 of the trail which, for me, was the easternmost end of the trail.  I began my ride very near to the beginning of the trail at Warrendale and traveled in a northwest direction to Nankin Mills/Nankin Lake where I had left off on my last ride.  I did not take photos of this section, though it was scenic I just never took the time to stop.  Sorry readers.  Perhaps next time.  This section passes through portions of Detroit, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Redford, Westland and Livonia.  A portion of the trail in Redford traverses alongside a golf course, Hawthorn Valley, where I'd done a lot of golfing when I was younger and lived in the area.  I'd forgotten how beautiful that course is.

During early settlement times the River Rouge served as a navigation route for Indian tribes and the French and English trappers.  Later it was part of the Underground Railway for escaped slaves.  Today it serves as a recreational gem for Wayne County.  During my ride I came across a grouping of Segways.  I didn't know what they were called but they are the two wheeled upright electronic riding devices, a group of senior citizens were out on a practice run.  I passed them slowly and gave them wide berth, I was amazed at their handling abilities and the person in the lead handed me a brochure as I passed.  He was their leader/instructor and apparently there is a Segway and Bicycle rental at Nankin Mills.  I'd seen a little red wooden building behind the interpretative center and assumed it was an ice cream or novelty shop.   From their brochure, I found out differently.  What a great way for seniors and others with some physical limitations to be able to get around and enjoy the park and trail.  A link to their site can be found here.

A link to Friday's route can be found here and information about this section of the trail and park can be found here.

When I do this ride again I intend to ride it from start to finish and back again in one fell swoop.  Round trip my ride totaled just over 13 miles which is beginning to seem like a warm up or shortish ride.

I passed historical and familiar landmarks like, Nankin Mills which currently houses an interpretative center, the big old toboggan hill and scenic stretches of the River Rouge.   I saw a sprinkling of wildlife, got hissed at by a mamma Canada goose and gobbled up miles of rolling terrain.  For the most part, this section was flatter with a sprinkling of rises and inclines.

This was my first ride since my longest on Monday, however, I haven't been snoozing or taking it  easy.  The last couple of days I have not been riding but I've busied myself with spring time chores.  Preparing the outdoor furniture, planting flowers and herbs and some general spring cleaning indoors.  Spring is a busy time for all of creation as we awaken from our deep winter's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment