Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Sunday, September 1, 2013

This Is How We Roll In The "D"

Slow Roll Bike rides by Detroit Bike City, started out three years ago with a group of 5-6 riders who got together and rode every Monday evening in the city of Detroit.  The following year the group had gown to 100 plus riders.  In their third year they've grown to several hundred riders and surpassed 1200 riders one evening in August!  Amazing for an unorganized ride.  Not knocking the organizers but what I mean is that generally, only charity rides that are organized around a cause draw crowds of this magnitude.  I find it amazing that a "casual" ride has sprung up to attract this many riders on an ongoing and weekly schedule.

Sure there are clubs and shop rides that take place on a weekly schedule, but none that I know of that draw this number or riders on a regular basis.  And how come I am only just now finding out about this?  I can't believe I haven't heard of this ride before now.  Like, have I had my head in the sand or what?  I heard about this ride on the radio a couple of days ago and have Google searched this out and it has been publicized in the major newspapers and even in Crain's Detroit Business, where have I been?  Since they do Monday's I'm either going tomorrow or next Monday for sure.  With the holiday tomorrow it may not be the best day to plan an evening ride but I won't miss this ride before the season is out.

Not sure how it got to be so hip to ride in the Big D but it's catching on like crazy. Having grown up in the city and spending my childhood behind a set of handle bars I can say that the city is flat and that will make for some easy riding. Here are links to a few news stories about the ride; Detroit News June 2013 Crains Detroit Business Detroit Bike City The photo below is from Hip in Detroit, a blog about happenings, places to go and things to do in Detroit, their link is here



No comments:

Post a Comment