Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Made It

Oct 5, someone is calling my name and I'm in a room surrounded by lots of electronics, before I know it my sisters are at my side.  Thirst.  Unquenchable thirst and no relief.  Pre-surgical visit with a nurse let me know exactly what to expect on awakining and that's a very good thing.  The breathing tube prevents any communicatons and you are restrained so that you don't pull it out.  This was something I had dreaded and feared but it came out within a couple of hours or so it seemed without much incident.  I was tired and sleepy and drifted in and out of it.  People and faces appeared and dissapeared in front of me over the next several hours and so much was a blur.  By evening I was more alert and talkative and holy crow I'm told that I'll be dangling over the side of the bed and sure enough I was and was asked to stand and take a few steps.  Success.  The least effort tires me easily and those steps were like an outdoor bike riding session.

Sleeping, resting, dozing over the next few days and little by little they begin to take hoses and tubes out.  I'm getting freed.  I get up and take little steps but continue to tire easily.  Where is my strength?  Where is my energy?

I have a good appetite but get full after a few bites, oh boy do I miss coffee!  Cardiac floor gets special diets and caffeine is not part of it, neither is salt.  Yikes, I'm a good cook and appreciate food correctly seasoned.  Food is tasty but bland at the same time and suddenly everything tastes peppery, must be the drugs given.  Some times I get insulin, I'm told that the procedure knocks your sugar levels off and am running slightly diabatic but that ceases after a few days so no more finger pricks and shots of that stuff.  That's okay because there are plenty of other jabs and pokes.  My care is excellent.  The USA has world class health care supersceeded by none.  I hope this Prez is ditched and the healthcare overhaul gets mothballed. 

The heart is angry over being assulted and the Docs constantly fiddle and fine tune meds, adjusting as necessary until all systems are correctly operational.  The body has been through a lot and it takes some time to adjust and regain normal operatons.  They'd probably be thinking about sending me home but my blood pressure remains too low and I go back to surgical ICU, there I get a unit of blood and that seems to do the trick.  Blood pressure climbs to normal ranges, but on the lower end of the spectrum which is usually where I am.    

On the sixth day I'm sprung out and get released.  October 10th.  Yay!  Oh no!  Mixed feelings, glad to be heading homeward bound but a tiny bit apprehensive.  This has been my safety net, my God dozens upon dozens of people have been caring for and monitoring my every breath, literally.  I trust the Doc and look forward to staying with my sister.  It's great to be in familiar surroundings, it's nice and quiet here compared to the constant activity at the hospital and sleep, glorious sleep, is mine.  Hours of restorative sleep later I feel refreshed and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment