Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spring Training

Well the up and down weather continues. We've had 80 F this week and in the same 24 hours we had below 40 F.  Yes, it's been one of those kind of springs.  Earlier I rode in shorts and tee shirt, today I went with a friend to pick up her new bike pictured here  and had to wear long silk undies, my neoprene ear covering, fleece jacket and full finger gloves!


We took a brief ride in the neighborhood behind the LBS and the winds stung my cheeks and my eyes watered so much is was hard to see.  It was fierce!  But when we turned out of the wind the sun made it tolerable.

Earlier this week I had a couple of new exploring rides.  I went out the the Border to Border trail but took a loop I've never been on that really isn't part of the trail but keeps you in touch with it and there are various points you can hop back on it.  The link to that route is here.  It took me on the other side of the Argo Loop.  That side is on the eastern side of the river along a high ridge, the climb up to that ridge was steep and sharp but once up it it was mostly flat at the top with great look outs over the river at this time of year with no leaves on the trees.  I did stop and take a photo of this tree cause I was giggling at the fact it seemed to be looking back at me when I rode by.  I called it the voodoo tree and it was on the ascent up the ridge.  Once the ascent was completed the route takes you along the east side of the river to the Argo Dam.  The following day it was warmer yet with lots of sunshine and I took another new route in Webster Township to Dexter Michigan via Gregory Rd. I came across this Llama Farm at the corner of Zeeb and Gregory Roads.  The trip was all rollers with some significant climbs.  The trip out was fully into a 25 mph strong and steady wind and nearly wore me out.  I was packing an energy bar and it powered me up enough for the return trip, minus the wind helped.  These curious little critters love to come right up to the fence to check you out.  The link to the route can be found here


No comments:

Post a Comment