Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Monday, July 22, 2013

Heat Wave Is Off A Bit

The mercury in the thermometer is coming down a bit and I've been out venturing for rides again mostly from home.  As much as in the early part of the season I was anxious to conquer new far flung trails is as much as I am enjoying the rides right out my door right now.  What thrills me now is to just hop on and go poking about the neighborhood.  It's been a while since I've ridden like this and I'm finding it to be pleasant summer fun.

Another bit of fun has been more time spent on the Huron River instead of riding alongside it.  The tube trip was so much fun I got to hankering for more river running.  Andrew and I took a canoe ride from Argo to Gallup Park.  It felt good to get in a canoe again.  I have a canoe but not a suitable vehicle for transporting it any more so it sits at the lakeside home of one of my nieces.  For this trip we rented one and it all came back like it was yesterday.  In my youth and younger days I spent literally years of my life in  my canoe, it's been in every major river in Michigan, many of the Upper Penninsula rivers, all of the Great Lakes except Lake Ontario and countless lakes, streams, ponds and other bodies of water.  Nearly all of that time was spent wetting a line as well as a paddle and the inside of that canoe has had countless fish flopping around it's belly.
 
There's something very special about the way a watercraft that you paddle slips silently along the water moving from place to place, powered by a human only.

Come to think of it, it's much like riding a bike, silent pedal power.

Sometime it's fun to be a brass band and make a commotion, there's also a lot to be said for moving through life quietly from time to time and place to place.


No comments:

Post a Comment