Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Last Ride?

Sunday November 20th and I was still riding.  I was not the only person pushing the season, I stopped lakeside and watched as a barefoot skiier took one last run across the lake.  Where was my camera when I needed it?  The day had started out at 58 F at 8 am but took a dive all day long.  By 3:00 when I rode (and watched someone ski) the temps were down in the 40's F. Brrrrrr.

I explored neighboorhoods close by home and noted how different everything looks with trees mostly barren of leaves, homes with doors and windows closed and the lack of people out and about.  There were folks doing the last bits of raking their yards and other winter chores, but in general there were not many people outdoors.  This was likely my last outdoor ride unless we get a fluke of a day.  It's time to break out the indoor trainer and set my bike up for it.  I need to swap out my outdoor riding tire and tube with the special tire I bought for the trainer last year and I'll be ready to go.

The fortunate thing this year with having two bikes is that I can always hop on my new bike if we get a rare good weather day.  This will be really handy in the spring when the weather is iffy and and mother nature has whimsical days where we have cold snow one day and mild warm breezes the next.  I'll miss the outdoor riding, indoor riding on a trainer is good for keeping up muscle memory and helping to sustain some of your conditioning but it is NO substitute for being outdoors and the adventure of exploring.

When I've recapped my mileage for the year and processed stats I'll notate that on this blog.  Now it's on to Thanksgiving Holiday preperations!

Wishing a blessed and Happy Thanksgivng to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment