Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Pause Before Winter Sets In

Last week we had the Thanksgivng holiday break and mild weather for what might be the last bike rides of the season with light summer garb on.  On Wednesday I was able to get out in short sleeves and a pair of knicker length bottoms.  Even though I set out by 2:30 the sun dips low on the horizon early and thankful for packing a light windbreaker I ended my ride with a jacket on.  It was the longest ride post surgery exploring the upper reaches of the Border to Border trail I rode from Brandemere Park to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital with a new found biking friend.  It was nice to show the route to someone new and have some new company to ride with.  Ride total was just under 14 miles. 

Thanksgiving day saw more of the same mild temps and I got out fairly early for a ride around Kent Lake at Kensington for a 9 mile ride before high tailing it home to get my portion of the family Thanksgiving meal prepared and whisk it off to the family dinner.  Again this time it was shorts and short sleeves again.  That'll be a thing of the past as the temps are to dip down to more seasonally chilly weather.

Indeed the weekend and first part of this new week temps are downright cold.  By Tuesday, yesterday, the wind was non-existant and the sun was shining so brightly I set off for a bike ride in 32 F degree temps.  It's the first time I've ridden in weather that cold.  Last year I ventured out in some mid 40 F degree days.  Actually it was not so bad, I was dressed appropriately with a windbreaker, hat and half gloves which were ok for a short 4 mile ride.  If I do this again though I'll be using full fingered gloves and my neoprene headband to cover my ears.  Ears and thumbs and fingertips were stinging a mite bit when I got home.


Shifting gears into a more seasonal frame of mind I spent yesterday evening with my Godson Andrew baking Ninja-bread men.  Tasty results!

No comments:

Post a Comment