Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, January 11, 2013

First Outdoor Ride of the New Year - 2013






Unseasonable warm weather had me put aside the trainer today to take advantage of an opportunity for an outdoor ride.  Sporting my new helmet, which was a Christmas gift, I took to the roads at Kensington Metropark.  I caught a late day lighting up of some oaks with their remnants of leaves near the end of my ride.

Even though I've been using the trainer, it's amazing how out of shape a person gets without riding on the roads.  Nothing like a little wind and hills to slow a person down.  It took me over a half hour of riding time to make it just over 4 and a quarter miles.  Of course I did pick the most horrendous hilly section with THAT HILL in it.  I felt like a sloth!  I normally don't ride the roads at Kensington, preferring the bike path, but the path was snow/ice covered in spots.

Having toured through the park after our first big snowfall I saw that the path was cleared, it looked as though it had been plowed so I assumed that the whole path would be open and free of snow or ice.  That is not the case.  I would expect that after today's temps in the 50's and our overnight lows in the 40's and tomorrow's mid 60's temps that the path may just be completely cleared.  I guess I'll find out because with weather like that in January in Michigan you can be sure to find me outdoors riding tomorrow.  I bet the park will be packed.  We've got a real January thaw going.


No comments:

Post a Comment