Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Me And Max

Max is my friend's Lisa and Dennis' little guy.  He lives on a lake and gets to tube and water ski but doesn't get to bike ride a lot. I've been promising Max a bike ride and today I made good on it.  We've had a period of hot weather and in Michigan that often means unstable weather, I rode early this morning before the heat and wanted to take another little ride in the evening and it seemed like a perfect time to ride with Max.  We were intending to head out to Independence Lake for a couple of turns around the path there but as soon as we had loaded up his bike in the trunk and mine on my bike rack I heard a crack of thunder.  We headed out anyway thinking that it would blow by.  I noticed that the sky to the south toward Ann Arbor was clear and looked fair.  To the west where Independence Lake was it looked okay but a bit dark.  We did pass through a downpour but sure enough it was dry by the time I reached Ann Arbor and Brandemere Park for a little jaunt on the Border to Border trail, just a mere 15 minute car ride south of home.  

We set off and before the first mile mark we were at the dirt bike park and Max took a ride down the mini mogul track.  Methinks he loved it because he headed right back after finishing the first round.  I asked him to slow down for a photo and instead he requested a video.


Traveling along we came to playground equipment and being all boy and all kid there was the requisite stop to jump, climb and play.


A bit later down the trail we saw this single deer nibbling leaves for dinner across the river from the island we were on.

It was a pleasant but quite humid evening and the breeze from  pedaling felt great.  Max had a really good time and said so on the way home three times at least "That was really fun!"

Getting youngsters exposed to bike riding and the adventure that is inherent in bicycling is fun for a grownup too!  I am an explorer at heart, sometimes I think exploring is more the draw than bicycling itself and I love to share that with kids because it comes so natural to them.
Deer spotted from Island Park across the river




No comments:

Post a Comment