Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More Bicycling For A Cause

In this case it was to help support a State Representative, Gretchen Driskell.  Politics being what they are the campaign for re-election is sure to require funds and our current representative is building a base along with a base of support.  I've known Gretchen through my affiliation while being Supervisor of Northfield Township and at that time Gretchen was Mayor of Saline. We served together on a transportation policy board at WATS (Washtenaw Area Transportation Study) and had other occasions to meet over government affairs.  While I am a strong Republican, I have found that Gretchen, a Democrat, to be fiscally conservative, has sound judgment and has practical common sense, a rare commodity in political circles today.  While generally favoring party candidates, it's about the person not the party.

Gretchen held a "Ride with the Rep" event last Saturday at one of my favorite bike trails at Hudson Mills Metropark and I was happy to be a part of the event.  Gretchen is an avid rider, competitor and outdoor enthusiast.  A nice crowd turned out for the event.

Wheels in Motion an Ann Arbor bicycle shop helped out at the event by bringing extra bicycles for those who had no bike and wanted to attend and ride and was also available for quick repairs, air for tires and other such last minute cycling needs and safety checks.  PEAC Programs to Educate All Cyclists was also well represented at the ride and helped to educated the riders on trail riding safety and etiquette, right before we took off for the ride.    I was really hoping to be able to take a spin on the tandem that WIM brought to the event, but I was only able to do a single lap with the riders due to other plans in the afternoon.  I guess I'll just have to wait for another opportunity for that tandem ride!


Gretchen is standing in the front row behind her bike in a black tee

 As you can see from the photos, it's a beautiful park and trail, just north of Dexter and south of Pinckney

No comments:

Post a Comment