Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, June 3, 2011

Finally ready for picture time - A one of a kind bike

  Fenders to keep me clean and a back rack to tote things round and now that she's all decked out the new bike is suitable for a photo shoot, here she is!

The aquiring of the new parts became somewhat of a quest.  The bike is white with brown accents on the saddle, hand grips, inserts on the brake levers and pedals with some minor black lettering.  I was not able to find a set of white fenders anywhere, to make a long story short, I purchased off the shelf silver ones and took them to a local auto body shop for painting and pinstriping.  The painter did an excellent job and when I went to pick them up today we chatted for a bit and it turns out he is an avid cyclist and he showed me the custom paint job he did on his bike, which was in the shop because he commutes to work!  How serendipitious.  When I took the fenders and rack back to my LBS for installation they were amazed at the workmanship on the fenders as was I.   


And with her pretty wicker basket!

  

And details on the fender pinstriping.



I did say that I gave her a proper cleaning, notice the clean wheel cogs. 


So my new baby is ready for stealth riding, she might look like a cumbersome cruiser but slyly she's ready to rock and roll baby!

We have had the most beautiful and awesome weather in the last few days, strong sunshine, low humidity and moderate temps in the 70's.  Can you say perfect Michigan Spring!  Sadly my work schedule has kept me from all but a little bit of tooling around town in the last few days and today when I got her back home I put on 3.28 miles just around town again.  Brings me to a weekly total for week #9 of 38.76.  I'll be all rested up for a nice long ride tomorrow.  Let's hope mother nature cooperates.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bike! Enjoy your ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a test to see if the reply function works, it appears to so let's give 'er a go.

    Sue, thanks - I love my bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'd love to get my Marin all tidied up so that she matches herself.

    The paint job on those fenders is excellent. I agree, it's the quiet ones that you have to watch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. About tidying up, it happens over time, one item every few weeks and before you know it all is a new look, however the difficult part, for me anyway, is replacing something that is not worn out our broken, it seems like a waste. But then, there's always ebay or craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then again there is something whimsical about having colorful expressions of one's self also and what a better place to express whimsy but on a bike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my mind's eye she has brown grips, a brown Charge (or possibly Pashley saddle) on a silver seatpost, and cream tyres. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds beautiful, especially the cream tyres.

    ReplyDelete