Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, June 24, 2011

Chef Deb


Prior to doing my current line of work I owned and operated a restaurant in the small town of Pinckney from 1984 to 1999.  During those fifteen years I was able to realize several passions of mine and put them to use.  I enjoyed cooking, creating things and entertaining.  A great combo if you are in the restaurant business.  During those years I learned a lot from the cooks and chefs who worked for me, most were pretty amazing people.  Demonstration cooking is fun and because I love it and enjoy entertaing a crowd I volunteered to do a guest apperance at our Farmer's Market this week and demonstrate how to make "the perfect omelet." 

What a blast!  I had forgotten how much fun it is to cook for an audience.  I rounded up some gear, packed up five dozen eggs and what seemed like all but the kitchen sink (on second thought, I brought that too) along with some fresh picked herbs from my little herb garden.

Within 15 minutes I was set up and in business, cooking omelets, chopping herbs and generally having a very good time.  I took goodwill donations in a can for our Fire Department which is working to raise funds to purchase a new thermal imaging camera.  Our local Kiwanis clubs are holding fund raisers for the department and one of our local businesses has pledged to make up any shortfall (there will be a significant shortfall) for the purchase.  It was all good fun, entertaining and I had a really great time and raised a couple of bucks for a good cause!

Oh yes, today ends week #12 of riding and I finished the week with 39.74 miles.  Staying pretty consistent and exploring miles of dirt roads right in my own backyard.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Congrats on the bike mileage. I never realized that Fire Departments used Thermal Imaging Cameras. Just curious for what purpose they use these type of cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thermal Imaging cameras are used by fire departments to save lives. When entering a smoke filled structure these devices can "see" people as the heat given off by a human or animal will show up on the image screen making it easier to quickly find a person who may be overcome by smoke or a frightened child who is hiding. Precious seconds count and can make the difference between saving a life or finding a body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Deb. The reason I ask is because I'm kinda sorta in this line of work. Without revealing too much of what I do; I like to keep that aspect of my life private and off blogosphere. but... Will let you know if there's something I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Deb! I love omelettes.

    ReplyDelete