Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Monday, July 26, 2010

Day Four 7-26-10

Rode to work today, what a nice way to start of your morning. I sure noticed so many things that I had not even noticed before, like a creek that I cross over on my route that I never paid any attention to or that the RR tracks were easier bumps than I had anticipated and how important it is for people to keep their shrubs trimmed that stick out onto sidewalks and the number one item is the pitiful lack of contiguous sidewalks in our community! Fortunately, I'm in a position to do something about that. A short 2.2 mile spin leaves room for another short sprint after dinner.

2nd lap for the day was 2.4 so I have 4.6 for the day. Got a tip from Dawn the physical therapist for icing my knee after riding and I did tonight, will report findings tomorrow. The knee pain is much better while riding after the first block or so it's gone and even more importantly so is the stiffness, by the end of my ride I am very flexible. Strangley though, pain and stiffness have increased while walking since I began riding but maybe the icing will help that. I can tell that I am already building up a bit of endurance and balance. One thing that I noticed after the first day was that I had much greater flexibility in my toes. I was loosing the ability to flex my toes and just touching my toe against something was painful. The confidence level is rising but I'm still a long way from my youthful days of hopping on a bike and not giving safety or crashing a second thought. I am anticipating that I will become surer footed and maintain better balance even while walking, once I become more accomplished again. It's true you never forget how to ride a bike, but that doesn't mean that after years of not riding you regain your skill overnight. Ordered a beautiful wicker basket today. http://www.basketlady.com/Utility/Bicycle-Baskets-c282/

No comments:

Post a Comment