Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011 Blizzard




Swimming has not worked out as a form of exercise but riding my bike on the trainer does work out nicely for a lot of good reasons. My wonderful sister bought me a trainer for Christmas and it's getting some good use and I'm getting a good workout.

It was easy to see how quickly I lost flexibility between the end of outdoor riding and beginning an indoor training season. I've been in my routine now since the 5th of January and believe that this is going to have a real positive impact on my riding come spring. I should be able to hit the ground running so to speak.

One thing that can be said for absolute certain - riding a trainer indoors is way more like work and riding outside is a joy. The two have nothing in common except it's good exercise.

Whereas it takes a great deal of effort and disipline to climb on the trainer it took every bit as much effort to stay off my bike and focus on doing necessary things like laundry, cleaning, cooking, getting enough sleep and so forth. I loved the bike riding outdoors as much as I dread the trainer. But there's something to be said for disipline, I know I'll appreciate it come spring when I can hop on my trusty little bike and pedal my way not only to health but adventures too!

So far I'm logging an average of two hrs per week on the trainer. I would equate that to four hours of riding outdoors or more. Reason, there is no stopping for traffic, for streetlights or stop signs, taking pictures of neat sights, stopping and chatting with friends and folks or even stopping to shop or just enjoy a moment under a shade tree. The trainer is same old round and round my feet go. But it does give an energy boost, especially helps pass the winter time dreaming about outdoor adventure.

Photos are of new decals bought online http://www.bikenames.com/.

So if there's one good thing that comes out of our blizzard it that it has prompted me to get back into blogging and public tracking of my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment