Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Saturday, January 21, 2012

Iron Lady

Went to the movies tonight and saw Iron Lady, what a great movie about a controversial yet very STRONG woman. Margaret Thatcher was one of history's most influential women of our modern times. I have read up a bit on the first woman Prime Minister in the UK and after seeing the movie I yearn to read much more. I see at least one new book on my shopping list. Ms. Thatcher was one very willful lady prone to stirring speeches and penetrating one-liners.

Between the movie and coming home and searching through some YouTube videos, she had a particular skill at delivering withering commentary aimed toward her political foes and opponents. 
I recalled listening to her recorded eulogy that was played at President Regan's funeral and thinking at that time that it was one of the best eulogies delivered that day. I also recall thinking, "wow, what an eloquent speech and delivery."

The years of her leadership reign came during an intensive busy time in my life while I was busy building a business and mostly recall news about her on the periphery of my horizon of awareness of what was happening in the world around me. The movie so intrigued me that I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do to read about this amazing and powerful woman. The UK was lucky to have had her.

2 comments:

  1. I always feel it's a shame that her strength didn't come with more compassion. I believe there to have been a considerable social cost to many of her policies, and personally have memories of struggling to pay my first (tiny)mortgage on my teeny-tiny salary when the interest rate in the UK soared to nearly 16%. Even a world recession has not (touch wood) produced the financial hardship that that did, although clearly my circumstances are different now. I haven't seen the movie, so don't really know how much has been "hollywood-ised". Personally, I would rather have seen her as a back-bench MP where I think her input might have been more rounded and moderated. Her eloquence and strength are not in doubt. I'm reading some great things about Meryl Streep's portrayal of her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mbg, certainly living in a country and experiencing first hand effects from a leader is much different than reading and watching from afar, so I defer to your assessment. I too recall that over here before the Regan years that we had run-away inflation and rampant rise in interest rates into the 16-17-18% range and that in time this moderated and the overall economy improved. The "oil embargo" era and rise of the middle east oil producing nations took its toll on highly industrialized nations such as both of ours.

    I recommend the movie and may see it again, I could not tell you how much was holllywood-ised because all of my perceptions are from afar so I wouldn't have the comparison that you would. However I will say that Meryl Streep did an outstanding job with this role! Bravo!

    In general, strong, determined and willful women are always portrayed as cold and bitchy while men exhibiting the same characteristics are considered in a much more flattering light. If you see the movie I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

    ReplyDelete