Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Harvest

Harvest time is not only for large scale farm operations but for the container grower as well. Sunday afternoon was a beautiful sunny day and perfect timing for clean up outdoors, getting rid of tired flowering plants, putting away the outdoor furniture and harvesting my home grown herbs!All summer long I have fresh parsley, thyme, oregano, sage, tarragon, rosemary, chives and spearmint.  Clipping plants down before frost sets in and allowing them to dry gives me enough herbs to satisfy any culinary whim I dream up over the winter.
Rosemary
French Tarragon
The biggest added bonus?  Right about now the house smells lovely.  So aromatic! 

After they are washed and air dried for a day or two I finish them off in a warm oven set to it's lowest thermal setting to eliminate any moisture.  If not completely dried they can be a source of food poisoning.  If you put them into spice jars and notice any bit of moisture forming when sealed, discard.  I've never had this happen but when they are in the oven I watch them closely, the difference between dried and toast is not much.
Sage
Greek Oregano
Parlsey and chive are so hardy that I leave a bit of the plant to continue to grow right up to snowfall.  Nothing quite like fresh snipped parsley or chives on fresh veggies or potatoes. Or mixed in with cream cheese on a freshly  toasted bagel.  That is a Saturday morning treat!

Speaking of treats, candy corn is everywhere on display - oy - my weakness!  I haven't broken down and bought a bag just yet...but...

No comments:

Post a Comment