Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Central and Mid West is Baking in This Heat

Wow - it's torrid out there!  Temps hovering near 100 and heat indexes far over that, I heard a report that the devil called and wants his weather back.

I have been riding, but it's with caution and late in the evening about the last hour of daylight before sunset.  We had storms and I had an RA flare up on Monday.  My elbow and wrist were mostly useless and in a lot of pain but it subsided with some care.so there was no riding but I did get out yesterday and today for a two day total of 18.5 miles.  Tuesday it was incredibly hot but the humidity was not as bad.  I had sat in air conditioning for so many hours at work without venturing outdoors that my body was super cooled and despite the temps I hardly broke much of a sweat.  Today was another story, the humidity was very high and I'd done several errands in and out of my car before the ride that I was already heating up before I got on the bike.  It poured out of me but it really does feel good to sweat at times.  It feels like your body is being cleansed, so long as you make sure you're replenishing with lots of water. 

As mysteriously as my shortness of breath came on a couple of months ago, it has all but disappeared now.  I still get that way from hills and serious inclines but that's to be expected.  I guess my theory about the heat and humidity is shot.  However there is something to be said for acclimatization, this heat has been going on for some time, I believe it's our third spell.

My one year is coming up soon on Sunday and I have a "meetup" ride planned with a group that is going to ride north of Dominos Farms in the back roads.  It's billed as a leisure trip with a breakfast stop and those who want to continue for a longer ride can do so after the stop.  Don't know another person going but so far 9 persons are signed up.  Might be interesting and a good way to mark the date with a somewhat organized ride. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be the hottest day of the week and with night time meetings for work riding will be out.  Storms are in the forecast for the next four days after that so riding will be done during any windows between the rain.

Tip of the day Drink lots of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment