Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, August 19, 2011

Week #19 And #20 Mileage Totals And The Ride Experience

I just realized that I had not posted my weekly riding totals last week, so here it is:  Week #19 56.18 miles and the week that just ended #20 is 55.76.  #19 had 6 days of riding and #20 had 5 days of riding.  I've been working to up my riding intensity so I've used a harder gear than I was accustomed to and it's boosted my MPH which translates into more miles in the same given time out on a ride.  This week I also made a point to up my time on the bike on my rides so again it translates into higher mileages.  The goal is not to rack up miles as much as it is to rachet up the intensity and duration.  Fitness is my aim.  More time on the bike has increased my energy level all the way around in so much of what I do. 

I love my work but it is also very stressful and intense riding melts it away.  I loose myself in the elements of being outdoors.  Sun, trees, sky, sounds of my bike, woodsy and fresh cut grass smells and the rhythm of my legs going round and round and my breathing in and out all create an intense focus.   I feel like I become my surroundings, melt right into nature so there's no distinction between me, my bike and the out of doors. It's nearly impossible for any thing or thoughts to intrude on this experience.  I get lost in my surroundings.  I return from rides completly rejuvinated mentally and spiritually.  It's accompanied by a good feeling of physical exertion.  Returning from a ride makes me feel satiated. 

However every day is not intense riding and today's ride was equally satisfying but in a different way.  Yesterday I logged 18 miles and made it a hammerfest, I headed out to a flat rail trail to crank it out and took a side spur that has the biggest hill I ever encounter on any of my rides.  I rode up it, down it, beyond it and back agin to retrace my route.  I tackled that beast of a hill from both directions, coming and going.  It was an all out effort.  Today was a mellow smelling the flowers and enjoying the sceanery  leisure ride.  They're all good and they're all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment