Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Sunday, August 21, 2011

#20 Milestone?

Is there something particular about the number 20?  I believe that physically there is.  I would not have thought that but having regularly gone out on rides in the 12-15 mile range and now and again 17-18 miles range there is something particularly different crossing a 20 mile ride.  Maybe not for others, and certainly by biking standards 20 is not a very big number.  Many avid cyclists don't really consider they've gone on a ride unless it's at least that number.  There are a great number of people who regularly cycle 25-30-40 or more miles.  The 100 mile mark century is usually reserved for something special but many who cycle do a few of those per season or once per month.

I am not that kind of accomplished and mentally and physically I noticed a difference in a ride of just a tad over 20 miles yesterday.  I often come home thinking I could have gone farther and full of energy.  Yesterday I was tired after my ride.  Not dragging my behind around or stiff or sore, just worn.  I felt it in my muscles, legs, arms and body.  I didn't hurt but I knew I worked my body and my mind to get to those miles.  The route was rolling hills and gravel roads.  20 miles of hills with 2 significant climbs is a bit more difficult than a flat rail trail of same mileage.

Thursday I was on a quest to pile up some miles and traveled the Huron Valley Rail Trail  from Downtown South Lyon to the spur that leads to Kensington.  I felt strong and decided to go for it even though it was a bit later in the day and I knew that a difficult climb waited.  I'd be lucky to come in just before dark.  I climbed that monster going out to Kensington and then coming back.  Going out is westbound and that face is mighty steep, according to MapMyRide it's a catagory 5 climb.  The decent in that direction is nearly two miles.  The east bound coming back face is  conversley a two mile grind uphill with a very swift and scary decent.  I managed them both with some effort then powered it up on the flat ride back.  That was 18 miles and I didn't feel near as spent, I returned home with energy to spare.  Maybe 20 is a mythical number to cross in my head, but whatever it is, it is now crossed.  On to 25......?

No comments:

Post a Comment