Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ahhhh, finally that nice long riding day I've been hankering for

I started off the morning with a recognizance ride to the Horseshoe Lake area to visit with persons I know, and check out on how folks are doing and coping over there.  I was gone a couple of hours and went 6.6 miles however much of that was spent visiting for long periods of time with others at various points along the way. 

People are very self sufficient over there and in incredibly good spirits considering the hardships they are enduring.  You see neighbor helping neighbor and looking out for one another.  It's very heartwarming.  Due to the hardships I just don't feel like posting pictures, let's just say it's bad and some homes are now islands with water surrounding them on all sides. In many instances people are using boats, canoes and kayaks to get out to the road to get to stores and are ferrying others.  I parked my bike up a hill and I rode hanging onto the back of a tractor to get around and even that big contraption could not get through some of the real low lying areas.  What an awful way to spend the holiday weekend for these folks.

My contribution to the effort has been to ensure that we are getting the message out via TV, radio and newsprint about how the Red Cross can help individuals who are flooded out of their homes and provide emergency shelter and what to do in the event that a persons well has been breeched.  So far, our public safety officials are doing a great job. 

After lunch I went out and did the Huron Valley Rail Trail with a friend for another 11 something miler for a grand total of 17.63 for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment