Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thursday May 5, 2011

I had a great opportunity to apply the things I learned from yesterday's outing and practicing the various gear combos. Today's ride had some gentle rolling hills and inclines and I rode about half of my ride on dirt roads (note to self: take sunglasses to keep the dust out of your eyes!) and the discovery is that riding can even be more joyful when you hit the right gear combo.

The greater range of gears has allowed for greater speeds to be achieved without undue stress on my joints. By getting into very high gears I can also build enough speed and momentum on the downhills to easily cruise up the next hill, that also takes a lot of stress off of my knees. Plus it has the added advantage of helping to keep me from getting as winded. I find myself panting a lot less and coming home from a ride and not feeling exhausted. Now some of that might be due to getting better conditioned from more frequent riding and increased mileage due to the weather cooperating. But I know this to be a fact, I don't feel anywheres near as fatigued as before and my muscles don't feel all wobbly, in fact I come back feeling like I could go a few more miles.

I look at that like a good thing because it leaves me wanting to go and ride as soon as I have the next opportunity!

I really really LOVE my new bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment