Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Friday, May 13, 2011

Back in the Saddle

Thursday was a commute day coupled with an easy pace ride around neighboorhood subdivisions, getting ready to crank up for the weekend. 7.5 miles for the day.

Found a very cool new tool. iMap My Ride is an app that you can download onto your Blackberry or iPhone or Android and it integrates with the online service. Both are free and way cool. It uses your device's internal GPS for navigation and you access it and turn it on and away you go. At the end of your trip you get stats like total mileage, speed, average speed and pace/mile. Much the same kind of data that you get from a standard cycle computer these days. But now for the awesome part - it tracks you like Hansel and Grettel except the birds can't eat your breadcrumbs. It maps your route. I used it Thursday and came home, hopped on line to the map my ride website and voila, there was my route in full color on a map of my choosing. This is way too cool for me!

I have spent far too much time in the past mapping by hand on the map your ride website routes that I rode that day. It can be painstaking work if it's a new route and something that you are unfamiliar with because you have to zoom in so much to get the proper detail that it seems to take forever. Not anymore :-) Color me happy and tickled, stuff like this makes me feel like I'm living in the days of George Jetson.

Friday was a double commute day as I went home for lunch plus a short run to the bank up town for a combined total of 4.6 miles. Going to see if the bike shop has my fenders ready, hope so!

Boo, fenders not ready. Weekly total is 32.62 which is considerably less than last weeks total (nearly 50) but pretty good for early in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment