Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, 2011

8.96 miles today, 2 from the commute and 6.96 on the Huron Valley Rail Trail out of South Lyon. Their farmer's market opened today and I still have not picked up any herbs to plant so it was a good reason to make the trip to the market where I got sage, tarragon and oregano plants. Took my bike with because I knew there was a trail nearby so I cruised from the market to the trail.

The flatness of the rail trail allowed me to fully explore the range of gears I have now. My old bike had one chainring up front and 7 cogs on the back cassette so the range was small. My new set of wheels has 3 chainrings up front and 7 cogs on the back cassette and cycling through the various combos was a treat that I have not had yet since I got my bike last week. I discovered the power of the large front ring combined with the small back cog. WOW! In general it was great to have the opportunity and I'm sure it'll take another such outing or two to find the sweet spot and ingrain the patterns in my head for the right gear combos for climing and downhills.


One more reason to love my new bike! Like I don't have a ton of them already. Love it so much I bought a bell for it today. Brrrrrriiiinnnnnnggggggg.

No comments:

Post a Comment