Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day of Rest

For the last 10 days I rode and accumulated 70 miles. That's not a lot in the world of biking, but for me it is, and each of those days I came back feeling like I could ride a few more miles as though I had a thirst that was not quite quenched. I felt like that yesterday when I returned. Not so this morning. I was wupped. My legs, my feet, my arms, my wrists were all talking to me and complaining too!

I realized that I hadn't taken a day off to rest and reccuperate and had a few longish rides in there, especially so early in the season. I decided that it was best all the way around to listen to my body and not ride today. Might even take tomorrow off too, then plan for a good long ride (weather depending) following this rest period. It's early in the season and I don't want or need any injuries from overtraining.

Looking over my biking log I rode 3 days this week, 7 days last week, 4 days the week before that, 0 the week before that because of cold and snow, and only 2 days the week before that. Before that there was only a day scattered here and there over the previous few weeks as we have had basically no weather conducive for bike riding.

It pays to keep a log and also to pay attention to it because clearly I am overtraining and need to dial it back before I have a problem. My body will be happy but my spirit is sad because all I can think about right now is riding!

My weeks start on a Saturday and end on a Friday. Quirky. Last year they started on a Friday and ended on a Thursday. Even quirkery, but it just depends on which day of the year I start riding on.

No comments:

Post a Comment