Welcome!

It's a new year and time once again to give a new look to this blog. New graphics and colors. Same bike writer!



This blog is created not only to track my own progress on my biking journey but it is intended to also assist others who have either osteo or rheumatoid arthritis or both like I do. I hope as you read about the progress I have made that it gives you inspiration and hope that you can overcome the dibilitating effects of these conditions.



If your doctor agrees that you should be capable of expanding your limits read on and don't be afraid, just listen to your body and give it challenges. Biking is a great non-impact form of exercise and greatly enhances flexibility and range of motion.



It's not a substitute for Doctor visits, taking your meds or otherwise getting off your health plan but it auguments what your Doctor does for you and can give you a better quality of life. Go for it!





Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 89 and 90

Day 89 October 23, 2010 Day off for rest. Much needed


Day 90 October 24, 2010 7.5 easy peasy ride up one side of the lake and down the other, short on time and needed a "close to home ride" that didn't involve packing it in the car. I haven't ridden on a street in a long time and it took some getting used to the traffic. I didn't like that part.

Physical stuff; last week I had really pushed myself for some longer distance rides each day and as much as I was really enjoying myself I noticed that the Thursday and Friday rides felt more difficult. Getting started was tough and it didn't feel comfortable until I was into the ride about a 1/2 hour and got my pace or gait. Hills seemed harder and felt like they sapped more from me. The last couple of miles on Friday were grinding. I was thrilled with my weekly accomplishments but worn out and spent. Amazing that a day of rest on Saturday and ensuring that I had enough protein (red meat stuff) really made a difference. It was nearly 48 hours since I had been on the bike instead of the usual 24 or less and what a difference that made!

Today I was so energized, riding felt like a breeze. Hills that I had dreaded in the past, I seemed to go whizzing up. Everything clicked and felt good right from the get go till the end. I hadn't realized I was overtraining until I took a break. Not sure I really reached overtraining mode, but notations for the future are thus; push hard, listen to your body, rest and nutrition, push harder, rest and enjoy the fruits of pushing the limits on your next time riding. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment